WEITZ & LUXENBERG, P.C.
Injured in an accident? Mistakes to avoid . .
Weitz & Luxenberg recommends you avoid making the following mistakes if you've been injured in an accident. But first, you should know that Weitz & Luxenberg is New York’s largest personal injury law firm. We represent individuals who have suffered serious injuries in automobile accidents, construction accidents and in cases where someone has suffered significant harm because of the negligence of another.
Mistakes to avoid after you've been injured in an accident:
• Do not wait to file your insurance claim. In New York State, if an accident victim has not filed a claim within 30 days, insurance companies can contest any claims against them.
• Do not wait to file a police report and retrieve a copy. In New York State, if you have not secured a copy of your police report within 30 days, it may get sent to the state capital in Albany and could take months to retrieve.
• Report only the basic facts of your accident to insurance adjusters. While most insurance companies are reputable, it is their business to try to minimize monetary settlements. Some adjusters will visit you in the hospital—and many have been trained to express sympathy while noting comments that could potentially damage your case.
• When speaking to doctors, EMT workers or other healthcare practitioners, tell them when you feel physical pain, but avoid speculating about the extent or severity of your injuries. Your medical records are admissible as evidence in your case.
• Do not wait to gather contact information and/or statements from witnesses to your accident. Witnesses are most effective when they are still emotionally invested and your accident is fresh in their minds. Memories fade, people move away or simply decide that they are no longer interested in helping with your case.
• Be extremely suspicious of anyone who says, “You don’t need a lawyer.” You need to retain a reputable personal injury attorney if you hope to receive a fair monetary settlement for your injuries and lost wages.
Weitz & Luxenberg, P.C.
If you were injured in a car accident, or suffered any kind of personal injury through no fault of your own, please fill out the form below for a complimentary review of your case. Weitz & Luxenberg works on a contingency basis, so there are no legal fees at all until a lawyer secures a financial settlement or verdict for you.
Act Now! The earlier you retain a personal injury lawyer to gather the facts after an accident, the easier it is to build a strong case for fair compensation. Please take a moment to give us the facts. We’ll do the rest.
Truck/SUV Accidents Injured in a truck or SUV accident? Speak to our lawyers at no cost
FREE case review from a lawyer for a truck or SUV accident
Car Accident New York City-area car accident attorney provides free consultations
Car accident attorney will provide a free case review at no cost
Accident Injury Attorney Have you Sustained an Injury in an Accident? An Attorney Can Help
Injury from car accident or personal injury? Contact an Attorney