Asbestos tragedy strikes twice in one family: Boiler inspector and wife both become ill from the carcinogen
The asbestos lawyers at our firm recently heard from a boiler inspector who worked in a boiler room for 30 years.
In that time, he conducted boiler inspections and changed over 300 asbestos gaskets on the lower & upper-headers of the boilers.
According to this client, he and his coworkers had 6 boilers to do yearly.
As with other people we have spoken with who have been harmed by asbestos, he had been exposed to the carcinogen at several jobs.
In addition to this work, he also worked in combustion engineering on Babcock & Wilcox units, and also operated the old older units. Those older units, he said, had loose asbestos fly off the top of the units when blowing soot between the tubes.
He recalled that, "The loose asbestos would land in your coffee cups we would spoon it out and finish drinking the coffee."
Sadly, this man developed asbestosis.
Tragically, his wife then developed lung cancer after breathing in the asbestos fibers and dust on his work clothes.
She had her lower right lobe removed and has been on treatment for six years.
Fortunately, our asbestos lawyers have been able to help this couple and we may be able to help you.
Weitz & Luxenberg is a leading plaintiffs' law firm that has represented people affected by mesothelioma for over 20 years. Men and women diagnosed with mesothelioma or lung cancer caused by asbestos exposure may be entitled to compensation from the companies responsible for their asbestos related disease.
If you would like a free consultation or more information about your legal options, please complete the form on this page, and an representative of our law firm will contact you as soon as possible.