Minneapolis, MN Family Exposed to Asbestos During Uncertified Work at Rental Home
On July 12, 2009, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on a chilling story of a young family, including a toddler, who were exposed to asbestos when insulation was improperly removed during renovations at the duplex they had rented for two years.
The family, who had recently purchased a home, had advised their landlords they would be moving at end of May 2009. While the property owners had advised the family that the furnaces in the duplex were to be replaced in May, they were not prepared for what took place when the work was begun.
A random visit from a family friend brought the situation to the limelight. The man told the couple he was familiar with the special concerns with regard to the removal of “octopus” furnaces, and that asbestos was used to insulate those furnaces. The man saw considerable evidence that asbestos was being removed, and that the work was not being performed correctly.
The family left their home that day, and as a result, lost dozens of bags containing clothes, toys and other possessions that were contaminated by asbestos. To date, the family has not been compensated for their lost possessions.
An investigation by the Minnesota Department of Health confirmed that the subcontractor performing the work had not received a permit to remove asbestos. The Minnesota Department of Health is currently investigating the case.
Even extremely limited exposure to asbestos is known to cause serious illnesses such as mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer or asbestosis. Children are at even higher risk than children to develop illnesses after exposure to the dangerous carcinogen.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with an asbestos illness, contact our lawyers today for a free review of your case. A Weitz & Luxenberg representative will contact you as soon as possible.