Did you breathe asbestos fibers from your father's dusty work clothes?
A man's terminal disease was ultimately caused by breathing in asbestos from his father's dusty work clothes,
according to the Portsmouth Reader on August 16, 2008.
The man, just 62, died last August from a lung tumor related to asbestos exposure.
The newspaper reported that his father spent his life working on ships.
It is likely he experienced second-hand asbestos exposure from his father's
clothing while living with his parents.
In the 1930s and continuing through the mid-1970s, the U.S. Navy used asbestos-containing products in its
naval ships and shipyards.
Naval employees were exposed to asbestos in insulation and in the
materials located in engine and boiler rooms, where heat resistance is
Those who worked below deck--including boilermakers--were heavily exposed
to asbestos fibers.
Boilermakers had to maintain, install, and repair the asbestos-insulated
boilers in naval vessels, which easily release asbestos fibers through normal
The article reported that a lot of the father's work was also in hot, sweaty,
dusty boiler rooms. Workers were given no protection from asbestos apart from
orange boiler suits.
His father would come home from work and shake off his overalls on the patio
where his son was working on motorbikes.
Many people have come forward to say their home or work environment led to
a diagnosis of mesothelioma, asbestosis or lung cancer from asbestos.
If this has been your experience, we may be able to help.
For over two decades, Weitz & Luxenberg P.C. has handled some of the most
legally complicated and groundbreaking asbestos litigation in the country.
Men and women diagnosed with mesothelioma or lung cancer caused by asbestos exposure or secondary
exposure may be entitled to compensation from the companies responsible for
If you would like a free consultation or more information
about your legal options, please complete the form on this page, and a
representative of our law firm will
contact you as soon as possible.