Indian Point powerhouse and the asbestos cancer risk
New York's Indian Point Nuclear Powerhouse was owned by
Consolidated Edison (ConEd). Like many powerhouses, its equipment was lagged or
insulated with asbestos because asbestos was known to be extremely
fire-retardant and able to handle the high temperatures particular to powerhouse
Unfortunately, asbestos is a carcinogen and it was used despite the fact that
many employers were fully aware it could cause serious health problems such as
mesothelioma and lung cancer.
Indian Point powerhouse workers at risk for asbestos
Nuclear power production encompasses high temperatures and
extreme heat; this requires insulation.
At the time the Indian Point powerhouse was erected, asbestos insulation was used due to
its cheap price and tremendous resistance to heat, chemical reactions, and
The Indian Point powerhouse plant was unfortunately stocked to the rafters
with asbestos--from asbestos-insulated pipes, turbines and pumps, to any other item
that required insulation.
Indian Point powerhouse contained miles of steam piping, as well as boilers,
turbine-generators, pumps and other items that were assembled and lagged with
In addition, various construction projects at the plant released clouds of
asbestos dust into the air.
Workers were unaware of the dangers associated with breathing in the dust and
weren't provided with protective equipment or clothing to shield them from the
deadly asbestos fibers.
How we can help Indian Point powerhouse workers with asbestos-related
Many companies manufactured asbestos-containing products
without any regard for the public. If you’d like to hold them accountable for
the harm they have caused you or a loved one, please complete the form on this
page for a free legal review.
An asbestos lawyer will review your
claim and a representative of our firm will be in touch shortly.