MESOTHELIOMA FACT SHEET
Mesothelioma cancer is a preventable disease directly related to careless incidents of asbestos exposure
Weitz & Luxenberg hopes the following Mesothelioma Fact Sheet will help raise public awareness of this deadly asbestos-related cancer known the world over as malignant pleural mesothelioma.
According to the Centers For Disease Control (CDC), the number of cases of mesothelioma are expected to peak in the United States this year. Most cases are related to incidents of job-related asbestos exposure that occurred decades earlier in industries known to utilize asbestos-based products, like the construction, automobile repair and shipbuilding industries.
Mesothelioma fact sheet
July 16, 2010 – Some noteworthy mesothelioma statistics provided by CDC’s own mesothelioma fact sheet include the following:
- A total of 18,068 malignant mesothelioma deaths were reported between 1999 and 2005;
- Over 80 percent of the deaths (14,591) involved men diagnosed with mesothelioma;
- Over 95 percent of the deaths (17,180) involved whites diagnosed with mesothelioma;
- The greatest number of mesothelioma deaths occurred among those 75 years or older;
- The six states with the highest mesothelioma death rates were Maine, Wyoming, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Washington;
- The number of mesothelioma deaths increased 8.9 percent between 1999 and 2005, from 2,482 in 1999 to 2,704 in 2005, despite the fact that the annual death rate in the United States remained stable at around 14 per million people.
Because mesothelioma is an asbestos-related cancer, Weitz & Luxenberg would like to support the above fact sheet with easy access to asbestos awareness facts, provided here. History shows that asbestos awareness saves lives.
Weitz & Luxenberg for compensation
Diagnosed with mesothelioma? Protect your family’s future financial well-being today by obtaining a free case review via the form at left.