MESOTHELIOMA CANCER SURGERY OPTIONS
Surgery options depend on what stage the cancer is in
MESOTHELIOMA SURGERY OPTIONS
May 24, 2010 – Mesothelioma treatments and surgery options depend on many factors, including: the type of mesothelioma, the stage of the cancer, where the cancer is, how far the cancer has spread, how the cancer cells look under the microscope and the patient’s age.
There are three traditional kinds of mesothelioma treatments for patients:
- Surgery to remove the cancer;
- Chemotherapy uses drugs to fight the cancer;
- Radiation therapy employs high-dose X-rays to kill cancer cells.
Sometimes two or more of these are combined in the course of a patient’s treatment.
Clinical trials at leading hospitals also offer mesothelioma surgery options. The Mesothelioma Center at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University, for example, is now recruiting patients for a new clinical trial using targeted radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
Mesothelioma surgery options
Specific mesothelioma surgery options fall into three categories:
- Diagnostic surgery – to determine the patient's affliction. These are minor operations, like a biopsy, and usually conducted with a local anesthetic;
- Curative surgery – to halt the spread of the cancer, force it into remission and even prompt a cure;
- Palliative surgery – to remove tumorous tissue in cases where the cancer has advanced beyond the point that it is considered curable; the purpose of the surgery is to relieve painful symptoms.
Mesothelioma lawsuit information
A diagnosis of mesothelioma can be overwhelming. Besides the obvious health concerns for the patient, financial concerns over medical bills and lost wages are very real.
That’s why many patients diagnosed with occupational asbestos disease come to Weitz & Luxenberg, New York’s preeminent asbestos injury law firm, to discuss the legal remedy of filing an asbestos claim.
Law firm for the American worker
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and seek a free consultation on your eligibility to receive compensation for lost wages, medical bills and suffering, please contact our law firm through the communication form at left.
Our lawyers are experienced in dealing with the wide variety of concerns that mesothelioma patients and their family members have.
Protect your family’s financial future today. There is no cost until we obtain a settlement or a verdict in your favor.