Weitz & Luxenberg has been named as one of the “Best Law Firms” in America in the 2020 Edition of U.S. News & World Report…Read More
We are no longer accepting new cases.
Weitz & Luxenberg Filing Prilosec Lawsuits
Chronic kidney disease (CKD), interstitial nephritis, acute kidney injury (AKI), and end-stage renal disease are serious medical conditions.(6) (7) (8) (9)If left untreated, these conditions may require kidney dialysis or a kidney transplant or even lead to death.(10) (11)
Weitz & Luxenberg has filed lawsuits on behalf of clients who have been harmed by Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors. Plaintiffs across the country have been filing lawsuits because they have suffered serious kidney damage after taking Prilosec or other proton-pump inhibitors.
Our clients have experienced severe and life-threatening kidney damage including:
- Interstitial nephritis
- Acute kidney injury
- End-stage renal disease, also known as kidney failure
These injuries can be chronic and irreversible.
Thousands Suffering Serious PPI Side Effects
Thousands of people are filing claims asserting they experienced significant complications, including severe kidney damage, due to their ingestion of Prilosec and other PPIs.
Because so many cases have been filed across the country against manufacturers of Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors, this litigation has been consolidated into a federal multidistrict litigation (MDL).
An MDL may be created when the facts of hundreds of cases filed in the federal courts are very similar. The cases may be grouped together so the legal process can be speeded up by coordinating pretrial proceedings. Representative cases may be chosen to be tried first.
The manufacturers of Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors have promoted these medications as safe and effective. What they’ve failed to mention is that people can suffer serious, life-threatening kidney damage as a result of taking these drugs.
Weitz & Luxenberg’s Paul Pennock is serving as co-chair of the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee for the Proton-Pump Inhibitor Products Liability Litigation.
“The manufacturers of Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors have promoted these medications as safe and effective. What they’ve failed to mention is that people can suffer serious, life-threatening kidney damage as a result of taking these drugs,” says Mr. Pennock, co-chair of Weitz & Luxenberg’s Drug and Medical Device Litigation Practice Group.
“These complications can be extremely dangerous. In some cases, people may need to undergo kidney dialysis or receive a kidney transplant. In worst-case scenarios, people can die from complications related to severe kidney damage,” explains Jonathan Sedgh, an associate attorney working on these cases.
The attorneys at W&L take these drug-related complications very seriously. Manufacturers of Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors need to be held accountable for the harm their products have caused.
Weitz & Luxenberg Accepting New PPI Clients
Weitz & Luxenberg is continuing to accept clients who have experienced severe kidney problems following their use of Prilosec or other brand name proton-pump inhibitors.
You may be entitled to compensation if you or a loved one took Prilosec or another brand name proton-pump inhibitor and thereafter developed a kidney-related illness that required overnight hospitalization or resulted in a diagnosis of interstitial nephritis, acute kidney injury, chronic kidney disease, end-stage renal disease, or death.
We offer an initial consultation free of charge.
If you developed or were diagnosed with kidney damage after taking Prilosec or another brand name proton-pump inhibitor, please contact us. Our attorneys can help you understand your legal options and whether you may be eligible to seek compensation.
Please do not hesitate to contact us. We would feel privileged to assist you. We may be able to file an appropriate lawsuit on your behalf.
Feel free to call us at or fill out the form available on this web page. One of our representatives will contact you shortly.
Prilosec and Prilosec OTC (Over-the-Counter)
Prilosec and Prilosec OTC (over-the-counter) are brand names of a medication intended to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), heartburn, and other conditions involving digestion and the inhibition of stomach acid.(12) (13)
The active ingredient in these medications is omeprazole, which is the generic name of the drug.(14)
You can buy some formulations of Prilosec or omeprazole over-the-counter. For other formulations of omeprazole or Prilosec, you need a prescription.(15)
PPIs and Stomach Acid Conditions
Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) are intended to suppress the amount of acid in your stomach. Prilosec is indicted for the following medical conditions:(16)
- Treatment of active duodenal ulcers
- Treatment of active stomach ulcers
- Treatment of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, when combined with antibiotics
- Treatment of symptoms occurring with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Treatment of acid-related damage caused by GERD that develops in the lining of the esophagus, called erosive esophagitis (EE)
- Treatment of conditions in which a person’s stomach produces too much acid, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
Prilosec OTC (over-the-counter) is indicated for heartburn occurring two or more days a week, but is not intended as an immediate relief for heartburn.(17)
Some dosages of Prilosec (omeprazole) may be used to treat children of certain ages. You should read label and product information for Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors carefully for details about adult and child dosing.(18) Consult your doctor before stopping or changing dosing of any prescribed medication.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs when contents in your stomach back up toward your throat through your esophagus due to the muscle responsible for closing the end of the esophagus not working properly. The esophagus is a tube-like organ that connects the throat to the stomach.(19)
When symptoms of GERD occur, you might feel the sensation of burning in your chest. This sensation is colloquially known as heartburn.(20)
The burning sensation occurs when stomach acid backs up into your esophagus, and irritates the lining of the organ.(21)
The cause of GERD stems from muscles around the base of the esophagus that may become weak or do not work properly. These muscles are supposed to relax to allow food to enter the stomach. Then, these muscles are supposed to tighten again. For people with GERD, the weakening or relaxing of these muscles can cause a perpetual backwash of acid into the esophagus.(22)
People who frequently experience acid reflux may be diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Symptoms of GERD may include:(23)
- Frequent heartburn
- Bad breath
- Pain in your chest or the upper part of your abdomen
- Problems or pain with swallowing
- Breathing problems
- Damage to the outer layer of your teeth
Erosive Esophagitis (EE)
The esophagus is the tubular organ that connects the back of the mouth to the stomach. Esophagitis means inflammation of the lining of this organ.(24)
When people develop GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease, the acid that may back up from the stomach can irritate the esophagus. Over time, this irritation can lead to inflammation.
Symptoms of erosive esophagitis may include:(25)
- Difficult or painful swallowing
- Chest pain that occurs while you are eating
- Food becoming stuck in the esophagus
Proton-Pump Inhibitors and Prilosec Side Effects
The list of possible Prilosec or other proton-pump inhibitor side effects is lengthy.(26) Recently, researchers have linked use of PPIs with increased risk of death due to any cause.(27)
Common Prilosec side effects include:(28)
- Stomach pain
Other side effects that may occur include:(29)
- Clostridium difficile (C. diff) diarrhea
- Bone fractures
- Cutaneous and systemic lupus erythematosus
- Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency
- Acute interstitial nephritis
Serious allergic reactions are possible when taking Prilosec. Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction may include:(30)
- Difficulty breathing
- Throat tightness
- Facial swelling
Symptoms of hypomagnesemia caused by Prilosec can be severe. You should immediately notify your doctor if you experience:(31)
- Irregular or fast heartbeat
- Muscle spasms or uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
- Muscle weakness, cramping, or achiness
Severe Prilosec (Omeprazole) Complications
If you are taking Prilosec or another proton-pump inhibitor, you should be aware that researchers have found people who have taken proton-pump inhibitors are at significantly higher risk of severe medical complications related to their kidneys.(32) (33) (34) (35)
These proton-pump inhibitor-linked kidney conditions include:
- Acute interstitial nephritis.Essentially, this condition refers to severe swelling of certain cells and tissues known as the interstitium found in the kidneys.(36)Acute kidney injury.Also referred to as AKI, acute kidney injury is kidney damage or failure that happens suddenly, within a few hours or days. With AKI, waste products accumulate in blood and the kidneys have a hard time functioning to keep balanced levels of fluids in the body, or stop functioning altogether.(37)Chronic kidney disease.Chronic kidney disease is also known as chronic kidney failure. What this means is that the kidneys gradually but progressively lose the ability to function. In its early stages, you may not notice any symptoms. In its advanced stages, however, chronic kidney disease can worsen, potentially causing many life-threatening complications, and can lead to end-stage kidney failure. Without treatment at that stage, the condition is fatal.(38)End-stage renal (kidney) disease.This medical condition is the final stage in kidney decline. In essence, the kidneys have reached the point where they are no longer able to clear the fluid wastes from your body and the only treatment is dialysis or a kidney transplant.(39) (40)
W&L Taking Cases If You Were Severely Harmed by Prilosec or Other PPIs
If you or a loved one took Prilosec or another proton-pump inhibitor and suffered severe kidney damage after taking the drug that has required overnight hospitalization, a diagnosis of chronic kidney disease, end-stage renal disease, or resulted in death, you may be entitled to compensation. We invite you to contact Weitz & Luxenberg for more information.
Our attorneys have experience with legal cases for defective drugs and medical devices. We can assist you in evaluating your circumstances and help you explore your legal options.
Depending on your specific situation, we may be able to include you in the lawsuits we are filing against the manufacturers of Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors.
You can reach us by phone at or fill out the form available on this web page. One of our representatives will contact you shortly.
Although past achievements do not guarantee future success, Weitz & Luxenberg has a solid national history of winning as well as the experience and resources necessary to stand up to large manufacturers of defective medications and medical devices. Nationwide.