Weitz & Luxenberg partner Ellen Relkin, practice group chair of our firm’s Drug and Medical Device Litigation team, is speaking at the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Mass Tort Seminar. This summer, the seminar is being held at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle on Friday, July 15, 2022. She will also receive two awards for her service to the organization.
The Mass Tort Program
AAJ plans to “provide a comprehensive view of the critical aspects and nuances of litigating mass tort cases, plus includes practical considerations for expanding your practice.” Conference hosts invite participants to “arrive in Seattle a day early and start [their] Annual Convention off with a deeper understanding of mass torts.”
Presenting at Legal Sessions
“Every opportunity to speak at an AAJ seminar is a privilege,” Ms. Relkin says. “These seminars draw some of the most recognized speakers in our field. The opportunity to share our knowledge and learn from each other is always exciting. I especially enjoy educating and mentoring young lawyers new to the unique world of mass tort litigation.”
She continues, “Those of us who focus on mass tort litigation are always looking to meet others who can help us better serve our clients. We are all driven to get justice for them.”
Ms. Relkin is presenting twice on July 15. From 8:50 a.m. until 12:45 p.m., Ms. Relkin is addressing General Discovery in Coordinated Mass Tort. Related subtopics include:
- Bulldozer Vs. Targeted Strategies.
- Deposition Strategies When Very Little Will Be Used.
- Use of Requests for Admission.
From 2 until 3 p.m., Ms. Relkin addresses The Future of Mass Torts/Mass Torts & Covid. Related topics include:
- Threats or Progress?
- Shades of Mass.
As part of her presentation, Ms. Relkin explains how changes in the mass tort landscape, including the increasing abuse by corporate defendants of the bankruptcy process, has harmed our clients’ right to redress.
AAJ Seminars Designed for Trial Attorneys
The AAJ aims to deliver “exceptional education and unparalleled advocacy.” Its seminars are geared toward a community of dedicated trial lawyers who continually strive to excel at fighting for justice.
This summer seminar also addresses these topics:
- Due Diligence of Investigating a New Mass Tort.
- Initial Client Management and Retention/ Mass Tort Client Communications.
- MDL Leadership: Is It Worth It?
- Census Expectations Once the Cases Are Filed.
- Fox Watching Henhouse.
- Bellwether Programs and Strategies.
- Settlement Strategies.
A Leader in the Mass Tort Field
Ms. Relkin is a frequent lecturer nationally at continuing education programs designed for attorneys. She is consistently listed as a New York and New Jersey Super Lawyer. She focuses her litigation practice primarily on defective drugs and medical devices, as well as toxic torts.
Over the years, Ms. Relkin has represented tens of thousands of clients harmed by dangerous medical products. Most recently, she filed a petition for a multidistrict litigation (MDL) against Exactech for failed hip, knee, and ankle joint replacement implants.
She is being honored at the annual convention by two awards. The first is the AAJ Above and Beyond Award recognizing AAJ members who have made exceptional contributions to sustain and strengthen the organization, and presented during AAJ’s Leadership Luncheon on Monday, July 18. The second award is the AAJ Certificate of Recognition to acknowledge AAJ members who have made contributions through membership, education, or fundraising to sustain and strengthen the organization. This award will be presented during the Membership & Awards Luncheon on Tuesday, July 19.
AV rated by Martindale Hubble for more than 20 years, Ms. Relkin has a history of serving in appointed leadership positions. Some examples are:
- Co-lead counsel for In Re: JUUL MDL.
- Co-Lead counsel for In Re: DePuy ASR MDL.
- Lead and liaison counsel for the New Jersey In Re: Stryker LFIT V40 Multi-County Litigation.
- Lead and liaison counsel for the New Jersey In Re: Stryker Rejuvenate & ABG II Modular Hip Implant Litigation.
- Plaintiff Steering Committee member in the In Re: Xarelto Product Liability Litigation.
- Executive Committee member for In Re: Invokana (Canagliflozin) Products Liability Litigation.
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee member of the In Re: Biomet Hip Implant Litigation.
Ms. Relkin is deeply engaged with leading organizations across the country. She firmly believes in working to move the field forward. Her time has been dedicated to a range of professional associations, including:
- AAJ former chair of the organization’s Toxic, Environmental, and Pharmaceutical Torts section.
- American Law Institute elected member.
- Former president of Roscoe Pound Civil Justice Institute.
- American Bar Foundation invited member.
- Board of Governors for the New Jersey Trial Lawyers Association.
- American Bar Association.
- RAND Kenneth R. Feinberg Center for Catastrophic Risk Management and Compensation Advisory Board